ASUU STRIKE: Benue State University students remain hopeless for resumption, confuse about traveling back home, Student Union give date for feedback
In a joint statement issued by the Branch chairman of ASUU, BSU, Comrade Kwaghfan Tarnongo, and Secretary, Terrumun Gajir, the union announced the commencement of a “total, indefinite, and comprehensive strike” after obtaining approval from the National body.
The statement added that the national body of the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, granted permission for the resumption of the suspended strike.
The decision was communicated to the branch members on February 1, 2024, during an emergency Congress held at the Arts Theatre Complex.
Report of meeting of Government delegate, BSU Governing council and the management as released by cabinet office on the 7th, Wednesday February:
The Benue State Government under the leadership of Gov. Hyacinth Alia PhD yesterday reassured ASUU BSU Chapter of Government commitment to their welfare.
The Benue State Government made its position known during a tripartite meeting between the representatives the Benue State Government, the Benue State University management and the Academic Staff Union of University ASUU held at the Conference Hall of the Cabinet Office Makurdi.
The State Government delegation at the meeting was led by the Secretary to the Benue State Government, Prof. Joseph Alakali , and supported by the Head of Service, Mr. Moses Agbogbo Ode, the Hon. Commissioner for Justice and Public Order and Attorney General of Benue, Barr. Bemsem Fidelis Lord Phydel Mnyim the Hon. Commissioner for Education and Knowledge management, Rev. Frederick Ikyaan, the Hon. Commissioner for Finance, Hon. Michael Ogleba, the Accountant General of Benue State, Mrs Theresa Nyitse, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Education, Permanent Secretary General Services, Cabinet Office, Mrs Mary Kange, Special Adviser to the Governor on Labour and Union matters, Hon. Iyoo Igbondo, Special Adviser to the Governor on Cabinet Affairs and Policy formulation, Mr Samuel Yuwa and the Director General of Quality Assurance, Dr. Terna Francis.
The delegation on the part of the Benue State University management had in attendance the Vice Chancellor, Prof. Tor Iorapuu, the DVC Administration, Prof. Mike Ode, The DVC Academy, Prof.Simon Ubwa, the Registrar, Mrs Mfaga Modom , the University Librarian and Provost College of Health Science.
While presenting their grievances for embarking on a comprehensive and total strike even when students were about to start exams, the Chairman of ASUU BSU Chapter, Dr. Kwaghfan Tarnongo, said the union was aggrieved in the following areas;
1. Non implementation of promotions from 2021- 2023
2. Non payment of 5 months outstanding Earned Academic Allowances.
3. Non payment of outstanding salary arrears.
4. Non enrollment of members at the National Health Insurance Scheme.
4. Non payment to union members and lack of accountability of the 70 million naira incremental steps normally paid to the University coffers monthly by the Benue State Government.
5. Non payment of 2018/ 2019 outstanding GST allowances.
6. Shortfall in Sundry allowances and
7. Minimum Wage Consequential Adjustment.
To ensure that the lecturers return to class for the interest of the Students and the Benue people, the meeting extensively deliberated on all the lingering issues and arrived at the following resolutions:
1. The Benue State University management made a commitment to pay 2 months of the outstanding Earned Academic Allowances immediately.
2. The University management also committed to paying 1 month out of the outstanding salary arrears and the meeting resolved that the payment be effected immediately.
3. The University management also made commitment to immediately provide a Desk Officer to liase with the Benue State Health Insurance Scheme for the enrollment of the staff into the Health Insurance Scheme.
4. A Committee was constituted comprising representatives of the state Government , University management and ASUU to meet and address some financial grey areas and in particular as it affects arrears and current status of the Earned Academic Allowances.
The SSG Prof. Alakali who frowned at the manner in which the Union embarked on a comprehensive and total strike without prior notice, however assured them of the commitment of Gov. Alia towards the welfare of the lecturers and appeal to them to return to class.
The union later resolved to convey the resolutions of the meeting to congress.
Comr. Ogbaji Solomon Onah, The Acting Benue State University, Student Union President on his Whatsapp group platform, named BSU 002 @accessibility at 5:27PM, today, 12th of February wrote:
Please 🙏 I’m always looking for definite information in regards to this strike, I called ASUU Chairman today, I spoke with Management Officer, and contact the Students Affair Division, no really definite answer yet, on our part, after meeting with students Affair Division, we make him understand that by tomorrow we should get a definite information to students wether to go or wen to resume