Fubara vs. Wike: Tensions Escalate as Inquiry Panel Concludes Probe into Arson Attacks
Fubara vs. Wike: Tensions Escalate as Inquiry Panel Concludes Probe into Arson Attacks

Tensions between the camps of Rivers State Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his predecessor, Nyesom Wike, escalated on Wednesday as the commission of inquiry investigating the recent arson attacks on local government secretariats in the state concluded its hearings. The controversy surrounding the destruction of three local government secretariats on October 7, following the chaos that followed the October 5 local government election, has become a major political flashpoint.
The probe, initiated by Governor Fubara in early October, aimed to investigate the arson, killings, and widespread property damage that occurred in the wake of the election. During the hearings, several individuals, including former local government chairmen and prominent figures like Wike and the state’s APC caretaker chairman, Tony Okocha, were summoned to testify. However, Wike and others failed to attend, prompting sharp criticisms from the state government.
Okocha, who was also invited, dismissed the summons, claiming he had not received any formal notice and labeling the inquiry a “political witch-hunt.” He emphasized that he was “too big” to fall into what he perceived as a trap, while also expressing his skepticism about the legitimacy of the proceedings. “As far as I am concerned, this one is a political witch-hunt,” Okocha stated, adding that he had only just returned from a trip to China and had been busy with the APC’s ongoing congresses.
Rivers State’s Commissioner for Information, Joseph Johnson, expressed disappointment over the no-show from Wike and his allies, stressing that their absence would not derail the panel’s work. “Their absence will not stop the work of the commission,” Johnson said, reaffirming that the panel would submit its findings regardless of the missing testimonies.
Justice Ibiwengi Minakiri, who chaired the seven-member panel, confirmed that the panel had hoped to hear from Wike on Tuesday but was left with an empty room. She noted that Wike’s absence had forced the commission to end its sitting, as the session was specifically reserved for him to clarify certain points. “Today’s sitting was actually for the former governor to appear and straighten out some points,” Justice Minakiri explained, adding that the panel would proceed to submit its report despite the lack of representation from some key invitees.
In a public statement, Justice Minakiri expressed her frustration, noting that none of the invited guests—Wike included—appeared or sent legal representation. “You can see there’s nobody here. We waited in vain, but now we’ve come to the end of our sitting,” she said, assuring that the commission would move forward with its findings and recommendations.
Wike’s camp remained defiant, with the former governor’s spokesperson attributing the refusal to appear to political motivations. Okocha further criticized the inquiry, questioning why the governor had not established a similar panel to investigate the bombing of the state House of Assembly and the attack on the APC secretariat last year. “The governor should have set up a commission for those incidents too, so everything would be inclusive,” Okocha argued.
For his part, Okocha said he was open to cooperation should the panel or government find it necessary to summon him in the future. However, he maintained that for now, the inquiry had no grounds to involve him.
Meanwhile, Fubara’s administration remains firm on moving ahead with the findings. Johnson reiterated that despite the absence of key witnesses, the commission would not be hindered in its mission. “Their absence will not stop the work of the commission of inquiry,” he concluded, adding that the panel’s final report would soon be submitted and that the next steps would follow in due course.
TRENDING SONGS
Nigerian Officials Allegedly Pocket N4–6B Weekly Through Smuggling Cartels at Seme–Badagry Border
Ahmad Yerima: Naval Officer to Face No Sanctions After Clash with Wike – Matawalle
Trending Video: Muslim Man Joins Wife in Hallelujah Challenge ‘Dress Like Your Miracle’ Night
Woman Seeks Advice as Late Brother’s Wife Refuses to Mourn Him Following His Death With Alleged Mistress
Nobody Cares About Fine Girls In The UK, I Miss Nigeria — Nigerian Lady Laments
Wedding Called Off: How Lady Cancels Wedding After Finding Out Finance’s Affairs With Her BestieÂ
Heartbreak in Ikeja: Lady Weeps After Fufu Found in New Phone Package
Twist of Fate: Man Who Questioned Phyna’s ₦1Billion Demand Mourns Brother in Dangote Truck Crash
Tragedy in Enugu: Dangote Truck Claims Lives of Family of Five
Bangkok Crackdown: Nigerian-Thai Couple in Police Net Over Drug Trafficking
Share this post with your friends on ![]()
