Death Toll from Landslides in Uganda Reaches 20 as Search for Missing Continues
Death Toll from Landslides in Uganda Reaches 20 as Search for Missing Continues

KAMPALA, Uganda — The death toll from the deadly landslides that struck eastern Uganda earlier this week has risen to 20, after more bodies were recovered from the rubble and an injured survivor succumbed to their injuries in the hospital. Rescue operations remain ongoing in the affected area.
Heavy rainfall triggered the landslides that swept through six villages in the mountainous Bulambuli district, located 280 kilometers east of Uganda’s capital, Kampala, on Wednesday night. The landslides caused widespread devastation, burying homes and farmland, and leaving at least 125 houses destroyed.
Irene Kasiita, spokesperson for the Uganda Red Cross Society, reported that four more bodies were retrieved on Friday, while a fifth victim, who had been injured in the disaster, passed away at Mbale Hospital. The Red Cross also confirmed that around 750 people have been displaced by the disaster. Of these, 216 individuals are currently sheltering at a local school, while others have sought refuge with family members.
Faheera Mpalanyi, the Bulambuli Resident District Commissioner, stated that soldiers have been deployed to assist with recovery efforts. “There are still more bodies trapped beneath the rubble, and we are doing everything we can to recover them,” she said.
Rescue teams are facing challenges due to the mud-covered roads, which have made it difficult to bring in heavy equipment like excavators. The affected region spans approximately 50 acres, with both homes and farmland located downhill, further complicating the search.
Local lawmakers, including Irene Muloni from the Bulambuli district, have called for urgent relocation of residents from the landslide-prone area. “The heavy rainfall continues, and waterfalls are appearing everywhere,” Muloni said. She urged those who lost their homes to stay with relatives and leave the dangerous area.
The situation remains dire as both government and aid organizations continue their efforts to search for survivors and provide assistance to the displaced.
TRENDING SONGS
NNPC Boss Ojulari Bags UK Energy Institute Fellowship
Shock in Anambra: Bride Disappears Moments Before Wedding
Nigerian Woman Returns ₦330 Million Accidentally Credited to Her Account
APC Don Reach Morocco?’ VeryDarkMan Reacts to Seyi Tinubu Poster
Bride Breaks Down in Tears as Wedding Meals Were Kept Secretly While Guests Go Home Hungry
Odogwu by Day, Robber by Night: How Marriage Joy Turned Into Tragedy
Nigerian Officials Allegedly Pocket N4–6B Weekly Through Smuggling Cartels at Seme–Badagry Border
Ahmad Yerima: Naval Officer to Face No Sanctions After Clash with Wike – Matawalle
Trending Video: Muslim Man Joins Wife in Hallelujah Challenge ‘Dress Like Your Miracle’ Night
Woman Seeks Advice as Late Brother’s Wife Refuses to Mourn Him Following His Death With Alleged Mistress
Share this post with your friends on ![]()
